Monday, November 9, 2015

Stage Door to Broadway

I read and checked out Angel De Quinta's blog titled Stage Door. The blog is an excellent source for Broadway photos, opinions, and much more. Angel's blog reminded me about the first and unfortunately only broadway play I have the chance to see.
I saw The Lion King when I was in fifth grade, and I remember my initial reaction was very negative. I didn't like plays to begin with and I had a hard time sitting still even at movie theaters. But my parents convinced (dragged) me to go to see it, after a while I gave in. I mean what the heck I saw the movie and I liked that how bad could the play be right. So we went to the city picked up our playbills found our seats and waited for the play to start.
I remember very clearly how quickly my attitude about broadway plays changed. Before the curtains opened I was expecting your average set with a few facades made from plywood. But I was dead wrong the set had so much depth and detail, I was constantly finding new things in it that entertained me. I was amazed at how much work was put into the play, the costumes and actors were great not at all what I expected. The play really grabbed my attention and drew me I felt like I was a part of the story not just watching it. When something dramatic happened the crowd would react with me and I would react with them. Another part that really surprised me was the music I never really cared for Disney musicals the whole song and dance just wasn't for me. But the play changed that too the actors did an excellent job of capturing my attention and making the song their own. My favorite part of the whole experience was after the show. On our way back home it dawned on me that I had never seen the Lion King told in such a different way. It was always the same animated to me, but the show really turned it into something different and unique. I would definitely recommend going to see a broadway play even if you are skeptical about live performances it is truly and eye opening experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment