Sunday, December 13, 2015

Art Show #2

As I said in previous post several pieces at the art show caught my attention. The next piece that really stuck with me was also minimalist in nature. The part of the piece that really pulled me in was the message behind the piece. The artist was able to say so much but was able to do so with only eight words and two pieces of paper. The piece is by Samantha Burns and is titled Try
The cut and impressed words contrast each other in a really interesting way and speak on the concepts of trying to remember and trying to forget. The way the artist made the "I CAN NOT REMEMBER" portion of the piece; lends itself to notion that when you forget something is it cut out of your memory but still hanging on by a thread. Sort of the same way that a word can be on the tip of your tongue but you just can't remember it. The impressed letter that spell "I CAN NOT FORGET" do a great job of conveying the idea of an event being burned into your memory. In this case the words are pressed and the paper represents a person's memory. This was by far my favorite piece at the show and I feel that it deserves much more exposure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment