Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Ice Box and Music Video History




Another piece link that caught my eye was the brief history of music videos link. The website the link goes to provides a timeline of the evolution of music videos. It was very fascinating to see that the first music video was made in 1956 by Tony Bennett. Furthermore the site does an excellent job of showing the progression of music videos and how the path they took to shaping our culture today. Both links provided me with insights as to how music videos are made and why they can be so abstract in nature but still retain their message.

Originally I clicked on the ice box link because I thought it would be a music video filmed in one of those ice hotels or an igloo. This was not the case however I was pleasantly surprised by the video. It starts off by showing the viewer a book full of paper cutouts of backgrounds and sets. It looks like a children's pop up book but then the artist does something incredible. The artist lines the book up and projects light and images over the cutout book and suddenly it the once dull paper cut outs come to life. I found this video very fascinating ; I learned that you can use two different types of media to create and convey one message that neither could convey on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment