Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Performance Art Video

My performance art video is titled  Tots on the Bluff and loosely draws inspiration from a Netflix "mocumentary" titled Snow on the Bluff. Snow on the Bluff is about a drug dealer in the ghettos of Atlanta who comes across a camera and decides to record his day to day life. The movie is a dramatic piece and feels extremely realistic. My video draws on the first hand sort of filmmaking that was present in Snow on the Bluff and also draws on another music video. The other video is a first person music video by the band Biting Elbows and the song is titled Bad Mother&*#($ (excuse my french). In the video the main character is captured and fights his way away from the enemies all the while chasing a mysterious object that the viewer can assume to be a teleporting device. My goal was to create a cross of these two videos and create something truly unique.

 The entire movie was filmed with a GoPro strapped to my forehead this really expedited the first person shot process and was a major part of the film. My original intention was to create a sort of parody on the Biting Elbows music video where I used tate tots instead of guns to fight my enemies. But as I mulled over the idea more and more I decided that it would interesting to film a social experiment video. Where I would try to sell tater tots around campus in manner similar to that of a drug dealer. I then decided that this would be a bad idea and would most likely result in some sort of undesirable interaction with the police. So I decided to compromise and made a dramatic music video that followed the life of a tater tot dealer in first person. I really enjoyed the process of filming and editing the video and I am extremely pleased with the end results.

1 comment: